Style is evolutionary, which means that as you grow or as your lifestyle changes, so will your personal style. The first time I learned this lesson was when I transitioned from being an undergraduate student to being a full-time educator. Suddenly, sweatsuits and Friday night freakum dresses didn’t seem so suitable for my new professional lifestyle. I was a “grown woman” now (Heyyy, Ms. Graves!), so my style began to reflect such. The more I grow, the more I appreciate minimalism because, sometimes, I just don’t feel like beating my face into oblivion or strapping up a pair of five inch heels. Lately, it appears that those days are becoming more prevalent. I mean, am I wrong if I want to go au naturale and slide into a pair of Chuck Taylors for a networking brunch? *insert Kanye West shrug here*
Babes, if you’ve ever experienced one of these days, just know that you are not alone…and that it is perfectly A-OK to embrace simplicity without sacrificing style. In fact, here are five style tips for those days when you can’t even:
1. Natural beauty is still beautiful. On those days when full-on glam make-up isn’t optional, reach for your favorite BB cream to provide a smooth foundation that allows your natural glow to peek through. I also like to brighten my under eye area using a lightweight concealer, such as MAC Select Cover-Up. Apply a translucent powder to finish your look and keep oiliness at bay!
2. Wrap it up! If you’re having a bad hair day but still need to look well put together, try a headscarf to add a touch of chic to your look. The one that I wore during this shoot was purchased from Ross for less than $10, and I simply adore the Burberry inspired pattern!
3. Subtlety is sexy. Bring a little sass to an otherwise simple ensemble by showing some skin. Shoulder baring tops are on-trend this season and can easily be styled with your most flattering pencil skirt or your favorite pair of jeans, transitioning you from a productive WERKweek into a fun-filled weekend!
4. Brighten up your smile. Is it weird that I have a favorite toothpaste? Well, I do! It has been said that a woman’s best accessory is her smile, right? I use Colgate Optic White Toothpaste for a fresh, clean, BRIGHT smile. For those days when my signature accessory needs a little extra “umph,” I treat my smile with Crest 3D White Whitestrips. When I’m in minimalist mood, I opt for a nude lip instead of an attention-grabbing shade. One of my favorites go-to nude lip combo is MAC Lip Pencil in ‘Spice’ + MAC Satin Lipstick in ‘Faux’.
5. Dress up your favorite denim. I purchased these white skinny jeans from T.J.Maxx about a year ago for less than $20, and they are a staple in my wardrobe. A classic pair of denim jeans (minus the distressing) can be dressed up with a blouse and a pair of heels for a comfortable but fashionable look.
Sometimes, the least is the most!